If you are out in bad weather conditions, between high buildings or in the mountains between rock walls, GPS problems can occur more frequently. Also note, that there are differences between the devices you use, as not all of them use the same systems. So it's not just possible but also very likely you will get different results with two different devices, even if you record the same Tour with them.
If your position cannot be located or the recording won't start at all, please check the following:
- Make sure the location services are activated, and location is turned to "high accuracy"
- Some smart phone cases containing magnets can disturb the GPS system. Remove those and try again
- Test your signal in open space; inside your house as well as between high house facades and rock walls you might have no or very bad reception.
- Give your device a bit of time to find the signal. Especially during bad weather conditions, this can take a little
- Deactivate any type of energy saving on your phone
- Restart your phone, if these instructions didn't help you. The GPS chip will be started again as well, and possible problems might be solved that way.
Test your phone's GPS System with a GPS-Status app
To test the GPS functionality of devices, we use the app “GPS Status & Toolbox”. You can download it for free in the Play Store. As mentioned above, Google Maps use different methods to locate you, but you need the GPS device for komoot. Test your position while you are outside. If the app is not able to locate you while you are in open space, there's a problem with your device.
If your position can be determined, check whether it works when you use komoot. Start a recording in the komoot app, then switch to your status app and check whether you still get a signal. If that's not the case, get in touch with our team (contact us -> customer support). Please also tell us what you tried already.