English | Deutsch

I suggest you ...

Offroad planning / Allow planning off the trail

Often there may be a small piece of track missing or someone goes off trail for a summit. Allowing the route between waypoints to be set as direct would help with this.

I would see this as having an auto route setting that can be turned on/off while adding waypoints. Users would then go into the list of waypoints and toggle the auto route setting for each waypoint as needed.

Inserting waypoints would inherit the setting from the previous waypoint.

386 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
kiwiant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Adminkomoot Team (Admin, komoot) responded  · 

Dear komoot fans,

We’ve got a pretty big announcement to make: As promised at the start of the year, off-grid routing is now available across komoot. Get the latest version on your Android or iOS device, or plan off-grid routes over at www.komoot.com.

To use the feature, simply disable the ‘Follow ways’ toggle on iOS, or uncheck the box on Android and web. Komoot will then draw a straight line directly to your next waypoint, ignoring any roads, paths or streets on the way. Plan full routes or individual segments off-grid, and see all performance stats and topographic info such as length, altitude and the time it’ll take you to complete.

To ensure your navigation experience is still reliable and flexible off-grid, we’ve also updated komoot’s voice navigation capabilities to deliver instructions when you’re not on known track. Though not as versatile as on-grid navigation, komoot will still tell you where and when you need to turn and notify you when you’ve left the Tour.

For more information on off-grid planning and navigation, read our blog post here: https://blog.komoot.com/how-to-navigate-any-route-on-komoot/11475

More details on how to use the off-grid planning are found here: http://help.komoot.de/knowledgebase/articles/1854559

We truly hope you enjoy this feature—and we hope you find it to be a useful while exploring the now limitless outdoors.

The komoot team

26 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Zisper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, three months with no update and no sign of the feature isn’t great. I’d like to know how implementation is going as well.

• Efraim Petel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a critical feature, waiting for it, Although not many unlisted trails, but enough for one section to be missing on the map to through you out of plan. Please rush with this functionality.
    Also, you may want to have a software analysis tool at the server (of few variation) that when many users add the same section, it means that this is an established route and needed to be added to the basic map.

• hambi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just joined Komoot and installed the app. The first thing that I did was to try to import a route that I have created elsewhere that I have hiking several times. However, Komoot doesn't know about a couple of the sections of public footpath (even though they are on OS maps and physically signposted). Thus the import had red sections where Komoot diverted my route onto other roads/paths. My first impression of Komoot is that it really needs this facility - to be able to mark routes where it doesn't know that a path actually exists. I therefore look forward to the update that includes this

• Joffrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, I really need this feature for when I import GPX routes. I need turn-by-turn instructions for the imported route as is, unchanged.

• Waterman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't wait for this. I was building a route today and the auto routing function would not allow me to route through a paved segment of a very small parking lot. This sounds trivial, but the auto routing would place me on roads that are unsafe for cyclists.

• Andrzej Dworak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bravo! :)
    Waiting and will test it as I quite often get lost (on purpose) in woods and mountains :)

• Giuseppe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Daniela, thanks for this great news. If you need a beta testing, I already one two hikes planned for this summer that needs that feature. Have a great weekend

• Oliver Schoenborn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be treated as a critical feature by komoot. For example a button "offtrack" that allows you to select any number of existing waypoints and click "done": that sequence is then manual for ordering and no path finding (ie straight line) and treated as a block when ordering the whole path.

• Zisper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been requested for 2.5 years, and is a simple feature which is available on many other route planning sites. I definitely prefer komoot as it has a nice user interface, and the time estimates which adjust based on fitness and elevation - but I've lost count on the number of times I've started planning a route here, only to have to go and redo it on a competing site. Because there's some small trail section that's not joined in OSM, or a road to cross, or a section of beach, or a park/field/forest I know I can cut through - and komoot wants me to go kilometers out of my way instead. Can manual/straight segments _please_ be added to the planning? You just need to have a setting that for "between this waypoint and this waypoint, go straight instead of trying to follow a path". Just a tick box in the waypoint list to choose "off path".

• andy flaherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

excellent idea - there is one piece of a national trail here in the peaks that detours you miles round because it doesn't realise you can walk across a road !

• Rewel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've only started using Komoot and this problem is making me looking for another app. This is a critical missing feature. Yes, you can adjust the blue line to match the red, but not if the track is not on the Komoot map. User should be able to adjust the blue line freely.

Another even better solution would be to have an option when importing not to fit the track to the map at all.

BUT pay attention - neither the original poster nor the admin reply make any sense. Please, read the comments.

• Ondřej Španěl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not understand what has "direction of travel" to do with this idea. This idea is about manual overriding of path-finding, about setting a route when there is no route on the map, and the user wants to plan such route on his own responsibility. Did admins perhaps misunderstood the suggestion, or perhaps "direction of travel" is a bad translaton of something else?

• ultrasqirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely need this. What good is a "hiking" app that requires you to stay on "official" routes?

Gaia is buggy, and Komoot would be my holy grail -- except for this critically important feature.

• Sergi Sales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
    I just bought the entire package willing to plan over a bunch of GPX I have for following them on my huawei smartwatch, but no.. The planning feature tries to match the map with their routes, having the same problem Joe has.

Sadly I found this knowlegge base article too late..
    "We'll try to match the GPS track you’re uploading to our path database. Note that the match isn't necessarily exact! You'll see the original track as a red line in the planning interface and the closest matched Tour in blue. You can further customize the planned Tour by adding waypoints manually. After you’ve saved it, you can use Offline Maps and voice navigation for your planned Tour"

Can we do anything?

Sergi

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I am having the same issue as others on this thread, but I have only used the app for a few days. Am I missing something?

I am trying to plan a 12 mile loop starting at the trail head, summiting peak A, a class 3 traverse to peak B, and back to the trail head. My problem is the app doesn't recognize the traverse as an option. Instead it is insisting I go almost the entire way back to the trail head (where the trail Y s) and then regain the ridge from the opposite side of Peak A. My total mileage is almost double what it should be. The traverse is only 3/4 of a mile and a fairly well know route.

Am I missing something? Can I override this?

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really annoying! and is the only reason why i'm thinking of moving to another app.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base