English | Deutsch

I suggest you ...

Automatically geolocate photographs uploaded after the hike, based on exif data

I generally prefer to take photographs with my camera rather than my phone and later add gps coordinates to each photograph using the recorded gps track. If I could upload these photographs to komoot and get the website to automatically place them in the correct location, that would be perfect. As it is now, I need to manually place each photograph on the map and this is very time consuming, even if I only have a few photographs.

68 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Durand shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Adminkomoot Team (Admin, komoot) responded  · 

Hello everyone

if you upload your photos on our website after your Tour, the pictures will be allocated both by the EXIF data (location) as well as the time they were taken in. If they are not automatically located, you can adjust the location of your images manually after with our after-tour wizard.

Best regards
Daniela

2 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Giuseppe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For now I could see that they are placed correctly only if they are geo tagged.
    If you use Lightroom, you can do the following steps:
    export the tour in Komoot
    import the gpx file into lightroom and tag automatically your pictures
    There's a offset time in case the camera time was not correct
    Export the pictures you want to add to your tour
    Import them in Komoot

It's pretty convenient but add some steps... So I support the idea to locate automatically the picture even if they don't have geo location registred in it. That can be done according to the time of the picture

• Traveler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is working now. However, some photos are not placed even if taken near one that was placed successfully; possibly a GPS signal 'bouncing' a little off trail.
    Perhaps komoot could increase the allowable distance a photo is still placed at the nearest point of the recorded track.

Feedback and Knowledge Base