English | Deutsch

I suggest you ...

Import GPX and plan exactly the same route without mapping to Komoot's database

I have a lot of interesting routes from websites, but every time I import and plan this route (via GPX) Komoot is always trying to map it against his own database. This creates a lot of overhead by rerouting all deviations to the original GPX route.

62 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Piet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Adminkomoot Team (Admin, komoot) responded  · 

Dear komoot fans,

As promised before, you can now import GPS files (GPX, FIT, TCX) directly into the planner (and as before via our website). Once your upload is in, you’ll be given the choice to adjust the route to komoot’s database of known ways, or to keep it exactly as it is in the file (by plotting off-grid waypoints).

Whichever you choose, komoot’s turn-by-turn voice navigation and offline maps will still work to navigate you around your imported route.

For more information, check out our blog post here: https://blog.komoot.com/how-to-navigate-any-route-on-komoot/11475

You can find a guide here: http://help.komoot.de/knowledgebase/articles/1854559-what-are-off-grid-routes-segments

We truly hope you enjoy this feature! And if you’ve got any feedback, please let us know—we’d love to know what you think.

The komoot team

12 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • w_vangalen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear komoot team,

If you choose not to keep the route exactly as it is in the file, you can't save the file, therefore you can't upload the route unless you choose to adjust the route to koemoot's database of known ways.

Could you please change this? One month ago this wasn't a problem, now - for some reason - it isn't possible anymore.

Kind regards,

Wouter

• Thieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hip, hip, hurrah! on behalf of all MTB komoot users :-)
    hope it’s coming asap , as I’m going to Scotland begin June and bike some gpx trails over there

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've tried this in both Chrome and Edge browsers, and currently the Red (original) path disappears if you use the back button to undo a change, leaving you with having to return to the import GPX and starting again. It would also be useful if while you are modifying an imported route it gave you a comparison between the original imported route and the new modified one, in terms of distance, time and altitude.

• Heikki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is in fact a show stopper for me. I am looking to move from BaseCamp to a new tool to manage and plan my routes.
    Doing a lot of Audax Randonneuring where the routes are defined by the ride organizators and have to be followed exactly. Being typically long rides (from several 100km to 1-2 tkm) the replanning work in komoot is extensive after import of the track. Please provide the option to take a track "as is".

• Fabio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this idea! It's very important follow the planned path during an event!

• bernagozzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this Idea! While it is a nice thing that Komoot tries to guide the user to known paths, it would be great to have an option not to do that. When importing .gpx files for planned bike events, Komoot should behave like a GPS. Or Google Maps!

• Cristian Álvarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For mountain bike, it is necessary that Komoot allows a kind of "manual routing" for segments which are not present in the maps database. I'm adding all missing segments to Open Street Maps after each of my rides and be assured that all my rides have some missing paths or tracks.

Komoot needs to allow us to plan routes before adding the paths to Open Street Maps. Maps should be altered only after verifying that the path is still there.

• Cristian Álvarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For mountain bike, it is necessary that Komoot allows a kind of "manual routing" for segments which are not present in the maps database. I'm adding all missing segments to Open Street Maps after each of my rides and be assured that all my rides have some missing paths or tracks.

Komoot needs to allow us to plan routes before adding the paths to Open Street Maps. Maps should be altered only after verifying that the path is still there.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I import a GPX fileit is altered to conform to roads and paths that are known by the application. If it doesn't know a path maps a different route. Paths and trails are in the real world, but there is no way I've found to force a route - even through the gpx import. Makes the app unusable or hard to use for me - if it did that better I would love it!

Feedback and Knowledge Base